This basic activity has a wide range of applications. As an alternative to the usual Brainstorming activity, this will produce lots of ideas for future work.
A variety of sticky notes: colours, shapes, sizes – the more the better.
Prepared QUESTIONS on A4 card. (agreed with the organisers in advance of the session).
- The Facilitator posts an A4 card QUESTION on a wall space.
- In silence, participants write their ideas in answer to the A4 QUESTION on sticky notes; one answer per note. (10 minutes)
- Participants are invited forward to post their notes on the wall under the QUESTION and offer a brief explanation – no discussion. (10 minutes)
- When everyone has posted, anyone who has been inspired to write additional notes may post them on the wall. (2 minutes)
- This ACTIVITY can be repeated if there are several linked QUESTIONS.
- The ideas generated will be returned to later in the training event depending on the purpose for which they were created: additional ACTIVITIES may be used, for example, CLUSTER MAPPING or DOT VOTING, to further explore a theme.
DISCUSSION (maximum 20 minutes)
Any discussion will be relevant to the theme at issue.
EVALUATION (5 minutes)
QUESTION: “Is GENERATOR effective and relevant for the use to which it is put?”
How would the group use this ACTIVITY in the future and would they make changes? Capture, record, circulate.